When to See a Doctor
The following symptoms are considered a medical emergency and you should seek medical help immediately:
- Sudden, severe abdominal pain
- Pain with fever and vomiting
- Faintness, dizziness, or weakness
- Rapid breathing
If you have a cyst, these symptoms may reflect a ruptured cyst. Once in a while, a large, ruptured cyst causes heavy bleeding.
If you are experiencing symptoms of ovarian cysts, consult your doctor. Your doctor will do a pelvic exam to feel for any swelling on your ovary. If a cyst is located, your doctor will either watch and wait or obtain more tests to facilitate treatment plans.
Additional tests may include:
- Ultrasound to locate the cyst and determine shape, size and consistency.
- Pregnancy test to exclude pregnancy
- Hormone level test
- Blood test to rule out cancer