What is the Botox treatment all about?
The Botulinum toxin is a protein and neurotoxin produced by the Clostridium Botulinum bacteria.
Botox injection is a non-invasive method of injecting a protein into tissues to weaken, paralyze, or relax certain muscles that cause lines and wrinkles of the face, making it look smoother and younger.
This is a currently popular procedure because of its effectiveness in making wrinkles disappear, even for a temporary period of 4-6 months, after which subsequent injections may be given to the patient on this same time-table.
Causes of wrinkles:
- The aging process
- Exposure to sunlight
- Stress and anxiety
- Facial expressions such as frowning, raising the eyebrows, and even smiling
Generally, the wrinkles around the treated area disappear within 3-7 days.
A very minute dose of this protein is used per injection.
Its effects are local and this is a very safe procedure.
Indications for the use of Botox:
- Reduction of wrinkles such as Crow’s feet, frown lines, forehead lines
- Reduction of excessive sweating in underarms or palms of hands
- Reduction of muscle hypertrophy on calves, masseter muscles for chewing, and producing a V-shape slim face.
What are the common side effects of Botox?
- Transient and mild pain at the injection site
- Small bruise which usually disappears after one week
What are the contraindications for the Botox treatment?
- Lactating mothers
- The treated area is cleansed and disinfected.
- An ice pack is applied, or a local anesthetic is applied over the treated area.
- Botox is injected into the treated area. This takes only about 5 minutes.
- The patient is made to rest briefly after the procedure, and then sent home with special instructions.
Instructions for the patient after going through the Botox treatment?
- Wash the face gently and regularly.
- After the procedure, the patient may resume use of make-up if she so desires.
- No other facial treatment should be done for at least 7 days after the Botox treatment.
- Come for follow-up treatments with your doctor as scheduled.